Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Killers - Day & Age

I'll come through and polish this one up a bit, but I just wanted to get it up. That's what she said...

Clear division of song type half way through the album. Overall lyrics are altogether completely ambiguous, which is a good thing for listners who like to put their own spin on music, but could also detract from the experience for listeners looking for a window into Brandon Flowers' psyche. I happen to like the ambiguity of it as it makes the music fit nearly any mood, as you can change the lyrics meanings to fit whatever is on your mind. The little variation in tempo and rhythm make for a safe, decent album, but a bit of boldness would have given this album some oomph and a greater positive skew in my critique. A lot of the songs find Flowers and Co. rehashing sound, proven techniques that have been used multiple times before by the band. But because we've heard all of this before, these techniques have lost their luster and have become flat and make for a contrived album. There are certainly highlights to be found, and those select songs are certainly the parts of the album I thoroughly and unashamedly enjoyed. However, the album as a whole feels like something from a previous day and age that we've already seen several times...sorry, that was lame.

EDIT: I have come to the realization that this indeed NOT an "album" to be listened to straight through. After listening to several songs on their own without listening to anything else, it became rather apparent that this is a tracklist independent album. I like the songs much better on their own versus as a whole with the rest of the album. Maybe a re-review is in order from a different perspective.

Losing Touch: This is the way I like albums to start. Big production, lots of bang. Love the horns harmonized with the guitar. This is music where Flowers' voice works well. The chorus takes away from the bang a bit, but altogether it works well. It's a good toe tapping song, gets ya movin'. The bridge blends the chorus and the verses well. Overall, works well as an opening song. It's a solidly constructed song with pleasant major chord progressions that give the song a good feel. Easily the best song on the first half of the album.

Human: I don't like this song. While I definitely appreciate the lyrical intent, I feel like they lack the punch that a message like that should carry. The momentum from Losing Touch is lost almost immediately, as this song stands in stark contrast to the previous. The galloping beginning is nice, and the Euro-Dance bit works decently, but that gets buried when the song really "kicks" in about at 1:15. It sounds like an 80's teen movie's credit music. Has no impact on me, sonically, lyrically, or emotionally. It feels like it WANTS to have a more energetic, forceful melody, but it lacks exactly that. Perhaps a reorganization of the tracklist would benefit this song, but the dulled instrumentals juxtaposed against a galloping beat pull this song in two directions, which ultimately ends in nothing but lost intentions and misguided ambition. Pushing the song in one direction or the other would have solved this problem, and lead to smoother album progression.

Spaceman: The energy and body moving beat is found again in the first single off the album. The clapping and "oh-oh's" that echo through the beginning of the song mixed with the synth effects interlaced throughout the song lend an up tempo vibe and a retro feel that really works well. Also, the passion heard in Flowers' voice in this song is one of the frontman's best, and must underutilized musical skill in his repertoire. It really sells this song. It's goddamn catchy, so much so that it'll be stuck in your head for the next week, which may or may not be a good thing.

Joy Ride: I like the funk bass line in this song a lot. This is a nice mix of old Killers and new Killers. Actually a pretty damn good song. I really like the "steel drum" instrument (I know they aren't steel drums, but I can't think of what they're called) and horns. The care put into the production is evident, giving this song a very polished sound. The mix is good. It has some certain "island music" attributes that I really like. Fairly obvious lyrical message. Pretty good cheer up song. The album seems to find direction here.

Dustland Fairytale: Probably the best song on the album. Again the passion in Flowers' voice is present, which continues to be a huge factor in my approval of songs on this album. The lyrics are also VERY visual, which I really like. "I saw the devil wrapping up his hands, getting ready for the show down" works so well in my mind. I like the pounding drum line, which couples well with the punch and effect of the lyrics. Overall, this songs fits together perfectly. Very well done.
I feel like this is where the song division takes place. It's something I can't really put my finger on, but from this song forward, the songs just feel different than the beginning songs.

This Is Your Life: I'm not thrilled with this song. It's just kinda bland. Doesn't really have much going on. It all feels like it's building up to something, but the payoff is pretty weak. You wait 2 minutes for any kind of release of energy, and it lasts like 10 seconds. I turn to the Killers as a source of a couple musical qualities: "fun" and energy, a "feel good" vibe, and a good mainstream Rock song. This song does not deliver any of these. I would switch Spaceman for this song in the tracklist.

I Can't Stay: This song picks up on the "island music" feel from Joy Ride, which I love. Bit of an odd start, but once the song gets going I really like it. The harp is a very nice addition that you really don't hear that often in music today. There are DEFINITELY steel drums in this one along with a marracca and a wood block that give it an overall island feel. The acoustic guitar is a nice touch too. It's a fairly simple song, but that's what island music is all about. I really like the sax solo bit too, and when it melts into the full band bridge, the energy pushed through from a song with such a slow tempo is pretty impressive. Could tie with Dustland for best song on the album.

Neon Tiger: After so many songs with the same slow tempo and extraordinarily similar rhythms, I'd really like a picked up speed here. The 80's synth makes it feel like it's straight out of Top Gun. The lyrics cut a fine line between cryptic and decipherable. Seems to fit better with the first half of the album. Decent song, but pretty forgettable to me. Filler, but good filler.

The World We Live In: The keyboard gives it a Supertramp feel, which I like. I like how the songs works. It's fairly minimalist and VERY straight foward. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it fits. The mix on this song makes some parts a little muddled during the chorus, but I like the guitar parts, I like the singing. Overall, it works out.

Goodnight, Travel Well: I actually contest that THIS is one of the best songs on the album. I thought it was actually the beginning of a different album because it didn't fit with any of the other songs. But GODDAMN do I like this song. It's ominous, it's foreboding, and it's a damn interesting way to end an album. Most bands would open with this one...I actually love that it's at the end of the album. Very nice twist. It isn't exactly an exciting song, but it has that epic feel to it, and it is a bit dark. I love the echo on the vocals, and it FINALLY has that build up to something! That slow build I have been waiting for the ENTIRE album finally releases here. Awesome. Just awesome. It just feels badass and awesome. Something The Killers do surprisingly well, and I wish they did more of it. Big sound, big feel. Even the vocals are pounding on this one, and there is so much emotion and passion in Flowers' voice. I really, really like this song.

I haven't figured out scores for the songs yet. I'll come in and edit that later.

The album score as a whole however, is in.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment