Saturday, September 5, 2009

First Post!

Hello folks!

Out of sheer boredom and an undying, uninhibited love for anything and everything music, I, your humble blogger, have decided to start a blog about anything and everything music. Reviews, updates, trends, bands, songs, albums, news. If I hear about it, and find it interesting, I'll toss it up here. If I find some new music that absolutely blows my mind I'll share it with the two people who may end up reading this.

I'm sure after I post some reviews up, and a couple people glance at them, there may be a few, "you're an idiot! You don't know shit about music! Band X sucks! Band Y is so much better! What makes you qualified to say anything about music at all?" comments. Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't have any REAL qualifications, though I could tell you my musical history. I started in 3rd grade playing the violin, which I played for five successive years, though I never put any effort into the thing beyond the mandatory school practices. As I did not practice at all, I played the music essentially through sight reading and listening to the other band mates around me, adjusting my pitch and tempo accordingly.

In 6th grade, my parents bought me a guitar for Christmas. I quickly started lessons, where my couple of years of violin experience propelled me to advanced techniques extraordinarily quickly. In fact, (and I hate to brag, but this comment has always flattered me) my guitar teacher, who had been playing for 35 years, told me that for someone that was so young and had only been playing music for 3 years, I had the ear of someone who had been playing for at least 10. I learned music theory, excelled in that, and in 8th grade started receiving requests from my school music teacher to start playing at school functions. As I was outrageously shy, I declined.

Into high school, I opted to hold off on music theory classes until my junior and senior years. As I had learned most everything, I didn't lose a single grade point over two courses, finishing music theory 1 and music theory 2 with 110% and 103% respectively.

Since then, I have passed my love of music onto my brother, who recently started his own band with some friends from school. I serve essentially as a musical guide and live performance sound level guide for them.

So, while I don't exactly have "resume" ready qualifications, I would say that I am experienced enough to provide educated, although not necessarily objective thoughts on the musical world.

And if you disagree with anything I have to say, I welcome your comments. Positive, negative, indifferent, bring 'em on.

So without further delay, I'll post up my very first review in the post immediately following this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment